top of page

It's going to be a challenging winter
You don't have to face it alone

Cost of living issues, including rising fuel prices, will create problems for our community this winter. We don't have a magic wand, but we are here to help

This winter we’re quizzing together, gaming together, reading and writing together, exercising together and eating and drinking together.


Quizzes & Board Games             Indoor Picnics                      Book Groups and

                                                                                         Creative Writing Workshops



We've formed a community action group to make plans for Warm Centres that will be open from November to February

From November 7th warm spaces will be open seven days per week as follows:

Mondays                         2pm – 6pm

St Michael & All Angels Church, 38-40 Manor Road, SA5 9BQ

Tuesdays                        2pm – 6pm

Christ Well United Reform Church, 124 Manselton Road, SA5 8PW  


Wednesday                     2pm – 6pm

Circus Eruption, Former St Luke's Church, 92a Stepney Street, SA5 8BD

Thursday                         1pm – 5pm

Wesley Methodist Church, 126 Eaton Rd, SA5 9JL

Friday                              2pm – 6pm

St Michael & All Angels Church, 38-40 Manor Road, SA5 9BQ

Saturdays                        10am – 1pm

Brynhyfryd Library, 417 Llangyfelach Road, SA5 9LH

Sundays                          12pm – 4pm

Indoor Community Picnic, rotating between venues

Activities will include:

Presentations on history and culture

Local writers share their knowledge and invite you to share yours.


Book Groups

Discuss your favourite books, tell us what you love and why.


Creative Writing Groups

Do you have an idea for a poem or a short story? We’ll help you finish it and publish it in our next Community Book. Become a published author.


Bingo, Quizzes and Board Games

Regular quizzes and board game tournaments.


Fitness classes

Gentle exercise to get the blood flowing.


Indoor picnics

Sunday community get-togethers. Bring your own food or share ours.

In addition, we hope you find the information below on sources of support and advice helpful​


If you’re renting and think you will struggle with rent and bills, talk to your landlord ASAP. They may be able to help you. ​Discretionary Housing Payments for both social and private sector tenants, can provide a “top up” in addition to any benefits you already receive. To be eligible for Discretionary Housing Payment, you must either be receiving Housing Benefits or the housing cost contribution element through Universal Credit. To access a Discretionary Housing Payment please contact your local authority.

​Additional support with housing costs

If you're not receiving Housing Benefit or the housing cost contribution element through Universal Credit, but are of working age, on a low income and having problems with housing related costs, your local authority may be able to help. To find out more, please contact your local authority.

Council Tax Reduction Scheme

If your household has a low income, you may be eligible for support with part or all of your Council Tax bill through the Council Tax Reduction Scheme.


Discretionary Assistance Fund

This is a fund of last resort that exists to support people experiencing extreme hardship and needing support with the cost of food, gas and electricity, clothing and emergency travel. If you are in this position, apply online to the Discretionary Assistance Fund for an Emergency Assistance Payment (EAP) or call free on 0800 859 5924.

Cost of Living Support Scheme

A £150 cost of living support payment is being provided to all households in properties in council tax bands A to D, and all households which receive support from the Council Tax Reduction Scheme regardless of their council tax band. A single payment is made direct into your bank account if the local authority has those details. Alternatively, you can complete a registration form. ​The Welsh Government is also providing a £25m discretionary fund to local authorities enabling further support where it’s needed most.



If you’re struggling to pay your water bill, contact your supplier immediately. Dŵr Cymru/Welsh Water has outlined the support available, including payment plans and water rate reductions.

Hafren Dyfrdwy is offering its customers similar support.

Gas and Electricity

If you’re struggling, speak to your energy supplier ASAP.

​The UK Government’s Warm Home Discount Scheme will give a £150 rebate to eligible households.

​The Winter Fuel Payment is an annual one-off payment available to anyone born on or before 26 September 1955.

Check your Winter Fuel Payment eligibility and claiming procedure here.

Cold Weather Payments will help with extra heating costs during periods of extreme cold. Payments are triggered when the temperature drops below a set temperature for a set period of time.

You’re eligible for a Cold Weather Payment if you already receive one of these benefits:

  • Income Support

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance

  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance

  • Pension Credit

  • Universal Credit

​​If you're eligible, you'll get paid automatically. 

Find out more about Cold Weather Payments here.

Broadband and Mobile Phones 

If you’re concerned about paying your broadband or mobile bill, contact your supplier immediately. They may be able to offer you a payment plan or another support scheme.

Banks, Credit Cards and Loans 

If you can’t make loan payments, your creditors may agree to a short-term payment holiday. They’re not obliged to do this but you can ask. Missed payments are usually treated as arrears and interest may continue to be added. If you’re concerned that you might struggle to make bank or credit card payments, contact your financial service provider immediately and find out what support they can offer.

​In May 2021, the UK Government introduced a Debt Respite Scheme, also known as Breathing Space, designed to suspend creditor enforcement action and additional interest charges while people take the time to make financial plans To access Breathing Space, contact a professional debt advisor.

Affordable Credit

If you believe borrowing is the best option available to you, please make sure you deal with an ethical lender. Credit Unions try to help borrowers avoid the build-up of further unmanageable debt by only lending what you can afford to repay, and can be very helpful to people who may not be able to borrow from banks due to a poor credit history.


Pupil Development Grant Access

PDG Access helps families with costs of items including school uniforms and learning materials. Learners currently eligible for free school meals can apply for a grant of £125 per learner, and £200 for pupils entering year 7, acknowledging the increased costs associated with starting secondary school. All school years are now PDG eligible.

​Families eligible for free school meals can claim if they have a child in:

Primary school from reception to year 6

Secondary school from year 7 to year 11

​All schoolchildren qualify for the grant whether they receive free school meals or not. To apply for this grant please contact your local authority.


Childcare Cost Support

The Childcare Offer for Wales provides up to 30 hours of government-funded early education and childcare to eligible working parents of three and four year olds for 48 weeks of the year.

Read more about the Childcare offer for Wales and other childcare support. Your local Family Information Service (FIS) can also provide information about financial support with childcare costs.

NHS Healthcare Costs

Eligible persons can get free dental treatment, eye tests and help with other NHS costs.

Get help with NHS healthcare costs.

Low income scheme: help with NHS health costs.

Get help with NHS travel costs.

Benefit Entitlement


Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a monthly payment to help with living costs. If you’re on a low income, not working or not able to work, you may be eligible. ​Claim online. If you don’t have access to digital services, call:

Universal Credit Helpline: 0800 328 5644

Welsh language: 0800 328 1744

​If you need help to make a claim for Universal Credit, Citizen’s Advice can help. Call free on 08000 241 220 or contact them online.


Employment and Support Allowance  

If you are ill you may be eligible for New Style Employment and Support Allowance, either as a stand-alone benefit or along with Universal Credit.


Job Seeker’s Allowance

If you’re unemployed or work less than 16 hours per week, you may be eligible for New Style Job Seeker’s Allowance to aid your job search, either as a stand-alone benefit or along with Universal Credit.


Personal Independence Payment

You may be eligible for Personal Independence Payment if you are disabled or have a long term health condition. Find out more about Personal Independence Payments here or call free on 0800 917 2222.


Statutory Sick Pay

If you are employed and ill, you may be eligible to claim Statutory Sick Pay (SSP). If you’re employed but your earnings are too low to claim SSP, you may be eligible for Universal Credit.


Pension Credit

If you’re over State Pension age and on a low income you may be eligible for Pension Credit, and you might receive additional help if you’re a carer, are severely disabled, or are responsible for a child or young person. Please note, Pension Credit is separate from the State Pension. You can be eligible for Pension Credit even if you have other income, savings or own your own home. Phone applications are welcome, and a friend or family member can call for you if you’re not able to use the phone.

General Advice

Citizen’s Advice Cymru offers free, confidential advice on issues including money management, debt-reduction and benefit claims. Call 03444 77 20 20 (9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday) or contact them online.


​If you’re self-isolating and need support, please contact your Local Area Coordinator for help and advice.


Care and Repair provides information, advice and practical services that help older people in Wales stay safe, warm and well at home. They fit disability aids and adaptations, supply home maintenance services, help maximise income and access grants, and make homes safe to return to from hospital. To find out more, call 0300 111 3333.

board games.jpg
The People's Library.jpg
bottom of page